mercredi 20 juin 2007

So many new sights, sounds, smells!

I’ve been in Burkina a month now. I had planned to start my blog a month ago, yet here I am writing my first post today. I’ve tried to do this before but every time I sat down to write I honestly didn’t know where to start. So many questions would race through my mind very time: What part of my experience is important to share? Who is going to read my blog? What do they want to hear about? What do I think they should know? Should I really be writing about MY experience or maybe I should be writing about the lives of the people here?

I eventually realised that I was over analysing the situation. Nevertheless, I would love to know what you would like to hear about and to answer any of your questions.

The following is best way I can think of to translate some of my first impressions and experiences.

The people : so strong

Transportation : crazily functional

The ground : red

The heat : doable

Amount of water I consume in a day : minimum 3 litres

Water : sold at every corner in sachets

The rains : awe inspiring and ear deafening

The food : yummy and very starchy

Losing weight in Africa : not gonna happen

Culture shock : like walking right into a wall

My office : just 2 of us, my counterpart and me

Work : learning patience

Ambiguity : gotta learn to embrace it

My family : all women

Need for an alarm clock : none

Time I get up : with the sun

Village visits : humbling

Getting sick : bound to happen

The details : I’ll spare you

My name : Toubabou (white person in Dioula)

Number of marriage proposals received : too many to count

Little kids : so cute but terrified of me

Working in an office : definitely not ‘feel-good’ development

Time : always at your disposal

What people tell me all the time : Y’a pas de problèmes! = No worries

6 commentaires:

The Phoenix a dit…

LOVE your list! So different! Keep it up, tell us more about how the people make a living and the work you do.

Colleen Duerr a dit…

hey claire-elise, its hannah i was wondering if you have seen or met any one who has malaria? oh. and by the way the little boy is soooooooooooooooooooo cute!!!!!!!!!:) i haope your haveing a great time.
love
hannah duerr ( your cousin)

meera a dit…
Ce commentaire a été supprimé par l'auteur.
Unknown a dit…

Claire-Elise: I too love the list. I want to know more about your work and what your days are like. Are you working on a specific project? Also, explain why your family is all women. Is this typical of the area. Where are the men? Being a foodie, I want to know what you are eating.

When I saw the picture of you I said, is that Debbie?

Don't feel bad about the heat. It's 98 degrees here in Vermont!

Ben is in Morocco until mid July. Maddie is the art director at a summer camp in Plymouth Vermont. Elena is a counselor at a 4 morning a week camp here in Montpelier.

We are so happy to hear from you!

Hugs, Julie Hendrickson

some of our work a dit…

Hey!!!

sounds like a crazy experiance. are you going to integrate what you have done there into your studies? have a great time and keep in touch.

ben

Ben.schneible@gmail.com

Unknown a dit…

Hi, its Erik. have you seen any snakes and what kind.

Love, Erik